Thursday, September 11, 2008

United We Stand

I'd like to take a moment to remember the day of September 11th. I was in my sixth-grade Reading class in Ripley, West Virginia. When the planes hit, I had no idea what the World Trade Centers were or what city they were in. I looked at my teacher to see the look of shock and horror on her face. She was trying to keep her composure to reassure her students that there was nothing to worry about... but we knew.

That day, the world came to a halt. Many students were pulled out of class as most of us peeled our eyes to the television screen. A news anchor, terrified, gave her report in the middle of the attack. I was very confused, I had no idea what this meant.

September 11th , seven years later, I am not so confused. The images of the attack are ones that will never leave my mind. There is always anger but, moreover, a feeling of sadness on this day. We remember what we are fighting for.

We take our freedom for granted more than we know... and sometimes we forget that freedom can be taken away from us, just as easily as it was given. I want to say thank you to the fallen Police Officers, Firemen, and Volunteers who died that morning. And to all those who know what the possible outcomes are, and still pursue those jobs anyway, thank you. The Police and Firemen protect us at home, and our troops are still fighting for us overseas. These brave men and women are willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for our country. They protect you, me, our families, and friends. The protect our freedom and ensure that we are safe.

Too many people forget about what these men and women endure. We look past the families they leave behind, subconsciously knowing that they might not return. More of us really need to simply say, "thank you." It's reminders like 9/11, that keep our country together. "United we stand, divided we fall."

1 comment:

Airborne dad said...

Amen, Stacey. Well said.